Friday, September 14, 2018
8:45am-11:30am, Registration at 8:15am
Miami Airport Marriott
1201 NW LeJeune Rd, Bldg A
Miami, Florida 33126
« Go to Upcoming Event List
OASIS Answers' COS-C Certification Exam: Demonstrate Your Expertise in OASIS!
HCAF will be offering the paper and pencil version of the OASIS Answers, Inc.’s COS-C exam. Home care providers may take this voluntary exam in order to demonstrate their expertise and commitment to OASIS accuracy. The exam is open book, consists of 100-multiple choice questions and there is 2.5 hours provided to complete it. Upon successful completion of the exam, participants are awarded the Certificate for OASIS Specialist – Clinical (COS-C) designation. Computer-based testing is also available.
If any of these apply to you, consider sitting for the Certificate for OASIS Specialist-Clinical (COS-C) examination. Established in 2004, the Certificate for OASIS Specialist-Clinical (COS-C) exam is the premier, nationally standardized, psychometrically validated test that evaluates a clinician's knowledge of CMS' OASIS guidelines. The exam itself undergoes rigorous performance and item-analysis adhering to psychometric industry standards to ensure item validity, content relevance, result reliability and overall evaluation integrity. Employing such a rigorous process allows OASIS Answers' to confidently award the COS-C certificate to those select individuals who demonstrate OASIS expertise by passing the COS-C exam.
- Looking to earn your certificate as an OASIS specialist and enhance your professional credibility?
- Wanting to demonstrate your OASIS expertise?
- Desiring an objective evaluation of your knowledge?
- Searching for a way to increase your value to your current or future employer or clients?
Interested, but have a few questions? Here are the most frequently asked questions about the exam from potential candidates like you!
How difficult is the exam?
- The COS-C Exam Passing Rate in 2016 was 73%. Passing rate is defined as the percentage of candidates who achieved a successful passing score during a specified time frame (i.e. during the calendar year 2016, 73 out of every 100 COS-C testing candidates achieved the passing score).
- Historically (from 2004-2016) the passing rate has remained extremely consistent, varying between 71% and 76% from year to year, indicating a fair exam, not too hard and not too easy.
What information is covered?
- The exam will always test you on the most current CMS OASIS data collection guidelines.
- Visit OASIS Answers' COS-C Exam Prep webpage to view the latest exam detail including an expanded description on all exam content areas along with a sample test question for each.
- The COS-C exam is open book so feel free to bring printed resources with you, including the latest annual INSTANT OASIS Answers guide (“The Brown Book”).
- Suggested resources: CMS Core OASIS Documents; OASIS-D Guidance Manual, Chapter 3; CMS OASIS Q&A's; other CMS-based resources/handouts from OASIS training classes.
How much does the exam cost?
There are different costs for taking the COS-C exam depending on (a) which type of administration you choose (Paper & Pencil vs. Computer Based Testing), and (b) if you are an initial or renewal candidate:
The COS-C Exam is a three-year designation, thus when you pass the COS-C exam, you will not incur yearly maintenance fees or have costly mandatory Continuing Education requirements to fulfill. Decide for yourself how you'd like to stay up-to-date, utilizing whatever self-study or formal workshop approach you prefer.
- Initial Exam $250
- Renewal Exam $200
How do I prepare?
- Independent study of the current rules and guidance provided by CMS is recommended for all exam candidates though is not explicitly required.
- Attend a session of the 2-day Blueprint for OASIS Accuracy workshop and receive the most comprehensive and focused review of current data collection guidance available.
- Every Blueprint for OASIS Accuracy attendee will receive a free copy of the 600+ page Blueprint handout which contains all the most recent versions of the CMS data collection resources, and which is an invaluable resource for review and during the open-book exam. The handout is updated monthly with the most current CMS guidance, so please recognize that older copies may contain outdated or incomplete guidance.
- Use the domain descriptions and sample questions on the OASIS Answers COS-C Exam Prep webpage to test yourself.
- If you cannot attend training, make sure you have and are familiar with the most current CMS OASIS guidance.
- COS-C Exam Details & Sample Questions
Exam registration must be received 2 weeks prior to exam date.
Check-in at exam site by 8:30am.